2.18.2013

Fast Forward



Hosting.

*****Hosting is not something I have ever put much thought into.  Actually, I did host part of a show me and a friend of mine did at Write On some years ago…..the show was called Black Hollywood and I played host for all of about ten minutes……it was so outside my comfort zone that when I got on stage, as host, I felt like crickets were going off in my head…..i had NO IDEA what to say or how to proceed, so I generically said a couple non-funny jokes and immediately called the next person up and decided that would be my only attempt at hosting….FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m a writer. And sometimes I perform poetry…..but hosting….yeah, I aint nobody’s dangon host. Leave that for the professionals.

^^^^Its like I could hear those words as I was exiting the yin yang stage. 
***Fast forward some years and I was approached by two women who for whatever reason thought it a good idea to ask me to host a spot they had come up with.  I reluctantly said yeah, not knowing what in the world to expect.  And within two weeks, I started hosting. 
***Fast forward ten months. ….as we count down to (a total of 6 shows until) our year anniversary, I had to take a moment to reflect on the last ten months I have spent enjoying/complaining and loving every moment of hosting….it has been one helluva experience, I will tell you that. ….. since I had no expectations out the gate, it became a situation where I took creative control and said “Ok Ken, you have a venue and an opp to do whatever you want…..do it!!!” 
And the story is written…..i can only hope that DPoM goes up in history as a goooooood spot….not for my name….my name will be written in the perfect stone just the way it should be.  Hosting for me, is not about my name….its not about claiming fame or coming up with fancy events so that ppl can say Januarie York is the shit…..truth is, as much as I care about what people think, I don’t.  I care because any real person with a sense of drive and ambition knows that to a certain degree, it absolutely DOES matter what other people think.  But the rebellious Aquarian within me does not care whether or not a person thinks/thought I have done a good job.  I don’t care if you say jY is a dope poet, or jY puts together great events……because what I am is a good writer. I will embrace that.  I am a big dreamer…..and my dreams come true with great help from other people.  Nothing I do comes easy and nothing I do is done alone.   As I started outlining 2012 (for tax purposes) last night, I couldn’t help but smile at the successes, win/lose/draw, of DPoM…….i have a team of strong black women on each of my sides and together, the three of us laid out an initial vision to be DIFFERENT and to create an environment that was welcoming to all people, of all races.  Everything we’ve done has been open to the public to partake in, directly or indirectly.  What we have wanted more than anything was to create an environment of unified energies having a good ass time on a early week work night.  And I think these last ten months have done a good job of all of that.  

I mean this from my heart, when I look out into the audience and see smiles or looks that show someone is thinking or relating to what is being said…..when I hear the audience talking back, when the room goes dead silent and when the people are chanting fuck it, feel it together, there is a spirit that comes over me that is almost unable to be described.  I only wish life was as good as those moments ALL THE TIME…..i could almost say I live for every other Tuesday night.  But with hosting, comes a lot.  To whom much is given, much is required.

Fast Forward to the trials*:
With hosting comes responsibility.  Having tried my hand at this for the last ten months, and I am by far full of no one’s seniority, I have been able to see a different side of poetry.  Hosting has given me empathy for situations hosts sometimes end up in; where as the artist in me might not have understood so easily.  I have dropped the ball as a host a few different times.  I have failed to promote correctly, I have made flyers late, I have forgot tip buckets and more.  I have done my fair share of ball dropping as a host, so I have come to have not only a greater understanding of this position, but also a newfound respect for hosts……
……….some hosts.
Some just don’t give a fuck.  They don’t try, they don’t care and it’s an anything goes situation.  I have been fortunate to not have worked hands on with many of those types of hosts, but if this were an honest blog, which it is, I would admit that those kinds do exist.  And for those, I don’t have empathy or understand for.  You know why????
Because I’m just a different kind of person.  I think there is a way to make shit right if & when it goes wrong and if you choose to do nothing, then I can’t empathize w/that because I CANNOT understand it.
*Fast forward to Responsibility.*
With hosting comes a level of responsibility that if you don’t know what all it entails, you will surely learn thru trial and error, as I have, depending on how long you continue to do it.  As hosts, we are charged with unspoken responsibilities to keep our people happy.  Who are our people???
*the audience
*the venue
*the features
*anyone I didn’t mention who is in the building
It is our job to keep the crowd engaged, to entertain in between poets, to see to it that our features for the evening are in the city, well taken care of and ready to perform.  We have to market, we have to shop, we have to be accommodating.  Hosting does not equal “I get to do a lot of poems” …..sometimes, I don’t even think about doing a poem because I’m so engulfed in whatever is going on around me.  Passing the bucket, making sure people are putting in (not taking out), making sure the people of the night are paid, making sure the audience is listening, making sure if someone wants on the list, they make it if there is time…..its a very “accommodating” job.  

And then there are the finances. …..#TheScaryBeautiful.
As I mentioned, I forgot to pass the tip bucket for a feature from out of town…..This is when the “host” in me leaves and the artist/human in me reminds herself to get it together dammit……I ain’t gonna lie….i stressed myself out for the next two months about it….you know why??? Because I told my feature that I would make up the difference out of my own pocket……not because I wanted him to go back spread the good word that “if jY forgets your tip bucket, she will cover it” …..but because I am an artist…..and a human.   I have worked as a full time, part time & featured poet before…. so there is no excuse available for me to say “I don’t understand where they are coming from” in regards to wanting that tip $$…..we as artists, esp as full time artist, COUNT on all possibilities of $$$ …..the longer we are in the business, we know what is feasible to “count” and what could go “either way”……we know not to count on a certain amount in the tip bucket, but we also know that if the venue says they are “passing it” that we can expect SOMETHING.  I would say I start off with $30, depending on the crowd…in my head, as an artist featuring, I might consider myself able to collect $30, give or take a few ends and again, depending on the crowd size (and how the show itself goes).  I figure if I expect low, it won’t be a bad thing if I look up and its $60 bucks in there….but if I expect $60 and I end up w/$25, I might be up shit creek….at least thinking-wise. Lol…..so I stay low. But that’s just me….But the point is, we count that money…….poets don’t hit the pavement featuring around so they can take the money and go buy shoes and shit.  I can count on my hand how many shoes I have bought with poetry funds…. 0_o  Which could contribute as to why I don’t want to be a full time poet…..LMAO!

But featuring poets are counting on the money they are promised….they are counting on the tip bucket being passed if that’s what you said as well as CD/book/Merch Sales, at least to some degree……so it almost goes like an arithmetic poetic equation:  x+y+1/2 + 50=$$ + merchX-CostOfTravelZ.  

Yeah its like that.  When we go out somewhere, we are COUNTING on a whole figure when we leave that may not be exactly what we predict, but we hope it will come very close to it.  So when we leave and part of that equation turns to negative zero, we leave out in a deficit, no matter what we ended up with.  Why the deficit ? Did we self-sabotage by expecting too much?  

Well the deficit is because we were expecting to have “around about” X amount of dollars.  Did we self sabotage by thinking this way ??? NO…..this is survival of the fittest.  When you are full time, you are paying bills, making it to the next stop and eating off of what you do.  Imagine if you are traveling out of town ??? Do you have somewhere to stay ? Do you have gas money ? How are you traveling ? Who paid for your travel ? The list of check off questions can go on and on, so rewinding back to me promising to recover those lost tip dollars for my much deserving feature, it was the RIGHT thing to do.  I have a job.  I might end up taking a loss, I might end up needing to figure out how to stay afloat from the missing money from my check, but at the end of the day, if I am in the wrong, I have to make it right.  So that lack of tip bucket passing, became my new bill.  A bill that I didn’t get to pay until 30+ days and three checks later.  But I paid it and prayed that it came right on time for him.  It was my hosting responsibility to correct that mistake on my behalf.  It wasn’t the people’s fault who brought me as a host…it wasn’t the venue….it wasn’t the audience or the DJ’s fault and it surely wasn’t the poet’s fault.  It was my mistake, my correction and while the correction took a minute to make good on, I tried to stay in touch with him to let him know he wasn’t forgotten but not “So in touch” that I kept making faulty excuses that would fall thru.  The problem with over-communicating is sometimes you try so hard and so much that you think (or hope) that you can make something work by a certain day and it turns out impossible.  So I tried to keep distance and stay close at the same time until the issue was resolved.  

I say that story for reason.  Not in attempts to tip my hat or to down anyone but possibly to make my fellow hosts question their actions:

Again, we have a responsibility that sometimes we don’t sign up for.  A responsibility that sometimes we may not want or that will cause interference with our regular, non-hosting lives……you think I didn’t need that money I sent him ??? Mannnn I missed it as soon as it was gone…….but that’s been months ago AND I never went below water. I’m still breathing.   I made it thru that and possibly kept my hosting rep in some kind of decent order.   And that is the for real point of this blog.
Fast forward to final thought:
We as hosts have to operate in a different mindset sometimes that we were not necessarily signing up for when we said “I wanna host or I’m gonna do this”.  Maybe this blog will shine light into the silent job of hosting and give someone something to think about if they are considering it.  Its not meant to turn anyone  away from the job or make anyone fearsome of hosting.  I honestly can’t think of anything I’d rather do every other Tuesday (but not more than that, shit…lololol) other than hosting.  I have a great team behind me, a cute DJ w/dimples and a black owned venue.  My audience is live, they let me ramble about everything from my dogs to my mom and overall and we support each other….which does not equate to asses in chairs, for me. ….in my mind, supporting me is as simple as telling someone about us. ….sharing a flyer…..coming out….staying late, leaving early, dropping off  someone…..man the list goes on.  I am proud.  I am ecstatic and I am happy to have been asked to be apart of something this beautiful and inspiring. I have been inspired and amazed in more ways than I can count in the last 10 months.
As we approach our first year anniversary, with the next six shows already accounted for, I tip my hat, at all of us hosts out here doing our jobs……our unspoken jobs that are not always patted on the back……people don’t always come up to us and say “thank you for doing that” …..folks don’t always look at you and be like “do you need some help???” …….and that is ok….i am NOT complaining about that. ….a lot of the times, folks have no idea what all hosting REALLY entails….What I AM saying is sometimes hosting is a thankful thankless job.  Sometimes we are tasked with shit we weren’t expecting.  Sometimes we drop the ball.  Sometimes we go overboard and sometimes we don’t go in deep enough.   But if your HEART is in the right place and you align your head up w/your heart, you will succeed….in whatever you do but in this case, hosting : )

You will leave a legacy. 

You will trailblaze and start new traditions.  Hosting,  in my opinion, is a stressful, fun job that allows creativity to BLOOM in full…..take advantage of it.  Love it. Embrace it all.  But most importantly, take care of your people.  Take care of your features. If you have to take an L in order to make sure your rep is intact or that your featured artists leave out happy and WILLING TO RETURN, then so be it.  Sometime’s that L is finances….sometimes you have to take it out your pay for the night, out of your paycheck for two weeks or hell, out of your Bill Me Later thru paypal.  But that dedication to the arts will be rewarded.  Have the faith in yourself and your people and your God that it will all work out for the good.  Don’t leave your people out here in the dark.
Don’t leave them clueless and don’t leave them mad. 

You will end up on the receiving end of a poem that you will likely fall in love with……
………………and won’t even know its about you.
So if you are a host
And have not already done so
Its time to Fast Forward to giving a fuck. 
With love to us all,
~jY

No comments:

Post a Comment