6.17.2012

Positive Reinforcement, Legends and the Streets.

 

last night I had the extreme pleasure of being invited to attend The Asante Children’s Theater’s showing of the critically acclaimed I Am Legend Michael Jackson tribute show.  By the time intermission had come, I had all but decided to review this show in hopes that the audience I touch, who may have not experienced it this go around, will be in line to witness it the next time they bring it back.  Today closed out a two week encore run of the show at the Madame C.J. Walker building.  I had an invite to witness it again today but unfortunately wasn’t able to make it.  Had I been free, I’d have watched the entire showing all over again as if it were the first time.

Within the first five minutes of the show, all I could think about was how many children, regardless of race but especially African American ones, do not get to experience the joys of childhood and life.  So many parents do nothing to get their children actively involved in the arts and/or the community.  Programs like ACT exist because of a desire to help/teach/inspire coupled with parents who refuse to settle for the streets raising their babies.  How does this fit in with reviewing the show?  Maybe it doesn’t.  But I would be remised if I didn’t mention that this is what came to mind as I saw these talented young black future men and women, who were being allotted the opportunity to express themselves via song and dance in front of a cheering audience of people.  You could see the hope in their eyes.  You could tell they knew the power of their voices, even if only the beginning stages.  They each sang with conviction.  Belief.  One young man was so believable of MJ.  The stars in his eyes and the conviction of his voice when he sang let us all see artistry at a young age. 

“All I wanna say is they don’t really care about us!”

One of Michael’s most underrated songs.   Everyone who knows me, knows I love dance.  Dance is in my blood.  I once wanted to be a choreographer but I was one of those kids who needed my dreams reinforced by someone.  I needed to be told that dream was possible and beautiful.  That there was a market for what I hoped I could be and they’d see to it that not only did I get the practice, that I would stick it out when it was tough.  I was one of those children.  And lacking that turned me in other directions.  Again I think of all the children with no positive reinforcement.  How beautiful was to see these kids re-enact the sequence from this video along with some additional choreography.  It felt so powerful.  It really felt …..Powerful.  Surely these kids know their power. 

Someone has told them.  Someone took the initiative, the first step, and enrolled them in something other than reality TV and fast food sandwiches.  To get to a point of “showing” a show, much practice has taken place.  As a creator of various shows, I know how much practice I do (and don’t ) put into stuff and the results of it.  Therefore, I can say without doubt that these kids were probably pushed to their limits and beyond.  They were prompted to rehearse when the new episode of their favorite show was on.  They probably fell down a couple times and struggled with a couple of steps.  They may have even cried, or wanted to quit.  But they were pushed.  I have never met Deborah Asante but I have heard great things about her and know several of her alumni.  Another safe bet is that she pushes these kids. 

And it shows in the performance.  Thriller was so well crafted and executed that I think the entire audience either was or SHOULD HAVE BEEN on their feet.  I know I was.  They were great.  The show includes a live band, live song, great dance choreography, a few skits and ……..

…..spoken word.  Poets Allyson Horton, who I came on the scene admiring and Camea Osborn, my poetry-niece did a SUPREME job representing our genre of artistic expression, as well as giving us a different perspective of Michael Jackson.  By the time Camea was finished with her piece, The Glove, I could no longer contain the tears.  It was as if I FINALLY began to mourn MJ.  In one first act, I came to terms with the fact that Michael not only created some of the best music, but he’s gone.  And he was tortured.  And he loved us.  People he’d never even meet.  He loved us.  Through these pieces, we were told his life thru a sequined glove and blue colors.  And the  tears continued well into the next scene.  Again I thought of those children who will never know life outside the prison they are born into.

Michael would have thought of those kids.  Michael would be proud of these kids! Every scene in this show was well thought out and perfectly placed.  Each singer had the right song choice.  In fact, one singer (possibly Jasmine Baily?) had quite possibly one of the most beautiful-est voices I have EVER heard in my life!!! Her range, her sound and the way she handled that song and her voice……it was amazing. Every dance step was loaded with a harmonious collaboration.  I was pleased.  A standing ovation was the least we could have done.  Each and every cast member should feel proud and celebrated.  Every set ended with loaded applause and cheer. 

And again I think about those kids who will never get to experience this.  They don’t stay kids forever you know.  They grow up no matter who does or doesn’t raise them.  Chicago just had 40 people shot and 7 killed in ONE week.  Some of the killed were as young as 17, maybe even younger.  People don’t just grow up numb to not being cared for as a child.  They don’t grow up with a lack of respect  for life for no reason.  Children need to be shown the lights of the world.  Darkness is all around us.  Violence, death, sadness and war surround us daily.  Children need to be shown how to be free.  How to find solace in peaceful environments and inspiring ways.  They need to know how to exist OUTSIDE the hood.  They need to be challenged positively and they need to have their desires and dreams nurtured.  I wish this for all children.  Will putting them in an arts program save their lives?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But it will definitely show them they do have many options.   I wish they could all be in the lights just like the cast of I Am Legend.  No matter what the avenue, whether it was acting or dance or music or building or karate, etc, etc…..the list can go on and on.  The ACT did a beautiful job giving tribute to a range of songs from the MJ collection.  I hope this show and the energy this wonderful casts put out into our universe inspired everyone else in the room as it did me.  My only wish is that more children could experience these kinds of lights instead of police lights…..ambulance lights…..

lights out.

jY

No comments:

Post a Comment